Sunday, January 11, 2015

Race Religion Baiters

As a Christian, I find it annoying and debasing when I read statements like “95% of prison inmates are Christian” or “92% of Congress is Christian”. In actuality, they are “professed” Christians; there is a difference. 

Just because one believes in the deity of Christ does not make them a follower! Lucifer and the fallen legion are believers, does that make them Christians? If I believe I’m a Democrat and profess it to the world but vote for Republicans, what does that make me? 

You will know Christians by their love for one another. John 13:35. Love is an action, demonstrated by patience, tolerance, kindness, gentleness, forgiveness, faithfulness, humility, honesty, generosity, hospitality and charity to name a few. 

If you believe everyone who claims to be a Christian is actually a Christian, then you are naïve or similar to race baiters, creating doubt, drama and speculation as to one’s devotion to doing God’s will through the power of Christ and His teachings. 

Before you condemn all Christians as hypocrites, please keep in mind:
1. Christ himself said, “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.” Math 7:21 
2. Christ had the biggest problem with those claiming to be religious.  He condemned them.
When’s the last time you heard a Catholic say he was Christian? Religion is the outward practice of one’s belief system. Christianity is an inward attitude and personal relationship with Christ. There is a difference.

What you or I believe does not constitute truth.  We choose what we believe based on our perception of the truth.  Why then do you throw Christians into a barrel of sour apples and think we're all the same based on what you read or think?

If you must judge, judge actions, not just what someone professes to be. Actions speak much louder than all the rhetoric you hear and read. Please keep in mind, perfection has never been a requirement.

2 comments:

Sensei Mitch said...

"When’s the last time you heard a Catholic say he was Christian?"

All the time! As a Catholic I am a Christian and routinely refer to myself as one. As do all of the Catholics I know, and the clergy. Why are non-Catholic Christians so fast to profane Catholics? If not for your Catholic fore-fathers you would have no religion.

I remain a huge fan and follower, but thought that needed to be said given your quote: "You will know Christians by their love for one another."

Denney Crane said...

It was is not my intention to profane Catholics, I understand that it is a Christian religion and I respect and revere the adherence to their beliefs. The Holy Catholic Church is a profound witness to Christianity.

However, you are one of the first Catholics I have witnessed saying "I am a Christian". Speaking for myself, being a member of the Methodist Church does not mean I am a Christian...