Monday, August 3, 2009

Unpopular Wise County News

SHELTER FILLING UP - There were 72 dogs and 22 cats in the Wise County Animal Shelter as of Friday morning. The shelter has only been open one week, and the sheriff's office is already being forced to consider euthanizing some animals. There were 19 dogs and seven cats adopted last week as of Friday morning, and the shelter is waiving adoption fees through the end of August. W C Messenger Update, Aug. 3, 2009

In the second part of this blog post, I wrote “Simple arithmetic tells me they will be giving away or destroying 150 dogs a month… ” and it looks like my addition was short. Actually, the sooner the animals are put down, the more efficiently the shelter will perform.

Just in case you think I'm completely heartless, I am planning to check the shelter regularly to adopt a dog. The best pets that ever put up with me came from the pound.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are no heartless. This is a sad state of affairs, but somebody has to begin making grown-up decisions.

YM said...

You're so right, rescue animals make the best pets. I swear it's as if they know you saved them.

Silicone Alley said...

I agree, I have two doggies that I rescued and they are the sweetest best dogs anyone can ask for!

Anonymous said...

I have a .22 and a backhoe.
DCB

an Donalbane said...

My pupster (possible chow/golden/collie mix) came from the Humane Society of North Texas in east FTW.

I agree with the Queen. Pupster is nearly always at my feet or side.

More loyal than some women...