Monday, June 26, 2017

Five Cliches Used to Attack Free Speech


1. ”There are limits to free speech.
2. “Hate speech is not free speech.”
3. “We must balance freedom of speech with other issues.”
4. ”The most stingent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic.” Oliver Wendall Holmes, Jr.
5. ”Maybe this speech is protected now…but the law is always changing.”

  ~ My opinion of not allowing cameras at White House press conferences is a good idea. The best way not to look stupid in the eyes of the world is to restrict photos and videos. Of course, there are many other forums that can create a similar perception.

 ~ Does anyone remember when liberal websites ridiculed Otto Warmbier for getting what he deserved after going to North Korea? A bad memory is quite convenient. 

 ~  Something I read in the NY Times that got my attention: 'The greatest threat to technology jobs is technology'...What a paradox.

 ~ Time to buy a few oil stocks while the price is down.  When the bombs start flying again in a month or two, I expect a 20 percent profit...

 ~ Mrs. Crane has finally convinced me to take a trip on the Heartland Flyer with grandchildren.  I am going over my survival gear, wish me luck...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain if free speech is the correct terminology anymore. It should be approved, proper speech, right? But what is proper?

Certainly not what Christianity says.
Not what some conservative says.
Not what some white male says.
Not what the President says.
Oh, wait. Free speech is whatever the government says is right and proper.

Glad we got that straightened out.

Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different web address
and thought I should check things out. I like what I
see so i am just following you. Look forward to checking out your
web page for a second time.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never
seem to get there! Thank you