Saturday, November 14, 2009

So the Confederate Flag
offends you?

As a seventh generation Texan, I never, ever considered “Old Glory” "Battle Flag for the Army of Northern Virginia" a symbol of racism or reminder of slavery; but I see how some people could. I have always seen it as the symbol of rebellion, revolution and independence of spirit.

If you are one of those who are offended, I sure hope you’re not the same person who has no problem watching someone burn the American Flag, aka “Old Glory” or the "Star Spangled Banner". If so, you are a hypocritical racist and traitorous American in my less than humble opinion. I also believe you are guilty of treachery, race-baiting and self-supremacy.

I take great offence when someone burns the American flag, but I must also be tolerant of the rights of others; that they are free to express their disgust, if non-violent. Personally, I wish it was against the law to disrespect it on American soil, but where do we draw the line on the people’s right to protest?

As imperfect as Americans may be, if you’re not offended by those who disrespect America or want to harm peaceful, innocent Americans, then you are much more despicable than anyone choosing to fly Old Glory the "Battle Flag for the Army of Northern Virginia". You are more untrustworthy than the KKK and should receive the same amount of tolerance as you demonstrate.


Edit: Thank you go the anonymous commenter for pointing out my ignorance concerning the actual name of the "Rebel Flag". I have taken the opportunity to read a brief history. This is another subject that I wasn't taught in my classes. Oddly enough, the particular flag that is so controversial isn't even the actual "Confederate National Flag".

4 comments:

Gerre Joiner said...

Well said!

jarale said...

The problem lies in the Liberal attitude, and the political correctness that has overstepped rational thinking boundries. They think they know everthing about everthing, such as the confederate flag, and want everybody to do as they say. No compromise, just change it to the way they want it done. Denny, you voice your opinion on what the flag stands, and your wrong. Obviously you didn't know that, but you are. I'm originally a Yankee, 30 years ago, and I understand that the flag does not mean racism, it means more than that. But the idiots who don't know history, think that the civil war was fought to free the slaves. It just happened to be a small part of the attempt to break free from northern policies. We "southerners" dont go around all day, dreaming about having slaves again. Get a grip! Do you really think that your that important in my life? I don't give you a second thought during my day. At least you think your that important, that's all that matters.

Denney Crane said...

I have never known the true meaning of Old Glory other than it being the standard of the Confederate Army.

All I thought I knew is what it symbolized to me... but I could be wrong

Thanks for the shout jarale... I value your words

Anonymous said...

"Old Glory" refers to the American flag, not the Confederate flag.

http://www.usflag.org/history/oldglorystory.html