Sunday, November 1, 2009

The BISD Bond Election

I received this post card in the mail Friday since I'm a registered voter in the Bridgeport School District. I have purposely not shared my views on this blog until now, which you will find below.


I wonder how much taxpayer money was spent to promote the Bridgeport school bond issue? There's this mailout, newspaper advertising and paying workers for all the election opportunities held at several recent sporting events. If this isn't pushing for passing the bond, I don't know what is.

What they don't share on the mailout (and you can understand why) is the cost of $22 million and that if passed, Bridgeport can get artificial turf through the regular budgeting process (it's only $750,000). Another item that's conveniently missing is that they were miraculously able to cut the bond $14 million from the proposal that failed in May.

I wonder how much "the kids" will suffer without larger facilities and state of the art technology. How will they be able to read, write, add and subtract without it?

Let's talk about the issues the bond is addressing:

Overcrowding shouldn't be an issue since hundreds of families have left the area after losing work due to the oil field collapse. Wait, they just want to get rid of the portable buildings! That will surely help educate students. I know portable buildings really screwed up my education when I had to attend class in one. What, our scholastic ratings were better then than they are now...can't use that one, sorry.

Student safety seems to be real high on the agenda, unless it's dealing with keeping parents informed when terroristic threats are made and rumors are terrifying the students and parents. Sorry, I got off subject... They want to improve student safety at the Intermediate School vehicle drop zones. If the board and administration were really concerned about student safety, why would they not consider using the $750,000 they want to fund artificial turf before an important safety issue? They just want new non-budgeted money to fund it. Makes all kinds of sense to me!

New state of the art science labs are the bomb! If I recall, we used our lab equipment maybe 3 times in chemistry, but it sure made us look smart when people came into the room. I hope we have someone smart enough to know how to use the equipment. Oh, the new labs meet safety requirements? Are the old ones not safe?

Saving the best for last: new computers! If all else fails, if they can't read or write on an adult level, they have to learn how to use a computer. They may not be able to speak english or formulate equations, but they need to know how to send an email. I see an absolute need to spend $7 million for the technology, that's only $3,500 per student? Is that enough?

Have no fear, the bill will pass! Parents want the best for their kids and will vote for it every time, as long as they're able to find a convenient time and place to vote. The problem does not rest with facilities and equipment. It rests with teachers ability to educate children in spite of the state controlled lesson plan and the progressive ideology of the school's administration. Not only do our children feel entitled, but their parents as well.

For the record, I voted no. It wasn't about the money, it's about the dishonest way of presenting and promoting facilities and athletics before securing excellence in academics. This generation will be the first that will not be better off than the generation before them. I don't know a better way for our children to overcome this grim reality but through superior work ethic and learning; which has nothing to do with state of the art technology and facilities.

but, as always, I could be wrong,

Denney Crane

.

20 comments:

mzchief said...

I too voted "NO" and would have voted "HELL NO!" if I had been given the option.

My son was home schooled on a budget of approximately $200. a YEAR and he made 50 points short of a perfect 1600 on his SAT. His SAT score qualified him for SEVERAL offers of full ride scholarships at no fewer than 5 highly prestigious out of state universities. He, currently, is in his first year of dental school, well on his way to becoming an oral surgeon.

Bridgeport does not need more money. Bridgeport needs better teachers. I have substitute taught at Bridgeport High and Intermediate schools and I stopped because of the attitudes most of the teachers had toward a major portion of the student population.

Better pay does not equate to better teachers. People tend to forget that teachers only work approximately 187 days per year. Teachers in north-central Texas average approximately $40,000 per year with the state average at approximately $38,857. Most people work 260 days per year. Teachers need to stop hissing and spitting about their salary and benefits and do the job for which they have been paid. If they did a better job, perhaps, the public would not mind increasing teacher's salaries.

Bogeyman said...

I will vote no also

Anonymous said...

Regarding computers, my experience with my kids is that the use of laptops/netboods in the classroom is a quasi-boondoggle.

My first was required to have a laptop for school three years ago, and my second two years ago, both of which were purchased. This year, in another district, they both use issued netbooks, at a nominal rental fee.

The rationale is that kids need to be familiar with technology. I daresay that irrespective of whether they're used in the classroom, kids will always be more tech literate than their parents. Unfortunately, the main uses of the laptops/netbooks skews toward IMing, email, games, and surfing the net. Though the schools may say they use sophisticated filters to prevent it, nearly all the kids know how to use "tunnels" to defeat the controls.

There is a legitimate place for computers: special tutorials and assessment of students' problems areas. But for the most part, what I've seen is that they're being used as a poor proxy for solid teaching.

Anonymous said...

I am almost 100% sure I've taught your offspring. My how my interest in who you are has peeked. I agree with 99% of what you say.

Denney Crane said...

7:27 PM

No offense, but I'm kinda grinning... hoping you weren't their english teacher...

"peaked"... I'm still smiling

Anonymous said...

6:44 here, just wanted to get my mea culpa in before Denney busts my chops...I meant to write 'netbooks', not 'netboods'.

Bad fingers!

Thanks for keeping us on our toes, DC!

PS: I doubt that 7:27 taught my progeny (they're not in BISD or DISD), but who knows?

Denney Crane said...

You spelled it right 2 out of 3 times so it's obviously a typo... I'm not the spelling police, but it peaks my funny bone to tease a teacher! I'm still tickled about it!

Anonymous said...

7:27 here.

I have never called you out for any misspellings on your part....but it's on now! Your fingers better fall correctly upon the keys lest I do become the spelling police. Tell you what, I'll identify myself as El Profe' and let you know about any miscalculations on your part....and I'll try not to end any sentences in a preposition.

BTW....I'm a special ed teacher. HeHe.

Denney Crane said...

How about me just deleting my comment and we forget the whole thing... forgive and forget kinda thing. Is that reasonable Profe'?

BTW, I was a special ed student! hehe

Anonymous said...

Truce. That will not be the last mistake on my part. I'll try not to reveal my occupation at the same time. I'm red-faced.

But honestly, my two cents on the subject is this. I left a Wise County school and took a job just south of here, as did my wife. The combined salary increase was over $20,000. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I'm glad I did it to this day. All schools have their pros and cons but when the salaries increase you have an increase in applicants. (I'm sure you business guys can tell me the same thing happens in other professions). My point being that if motivated, energetic teachers who strive to find ways to get kids to pass the TAKS are tempted by higher salaries, the weaker teachers are eventually weeded out.

The Accomplice said...

I live super close to a Bridgeport school. Actually I live in the school zone. Those "Vote For The Kids" signs are everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Denny, I'm not sure how much early voting election workers are paid the same as election day workers are; $10.00 an hour. If you volunteer to work early voting in the past, it is volunteer with no pay.

Regarding late early voting hours other districts have used school activities for early voting convenience; however, early voting has been extended to 7:00 p.m. on different days at different schools.

Taxpayers paying the bill for each each student to have a computer in this economy is the same thinking that is going on in Washington. The computers will become out of date and need another bond issue to buy new ones. Kids can learn how to use a computer without their personal lap top.

My daughter applied for a teaching position at the BISD but since she was not local or anyone knew her, she did not receive an interview. Last year she was named "teacher of the year" at her school in the metroplex where she makes about $10,000 more per year than the BISD pays.

Why do school boards refuse to address teacher pay while throwing tax dollars to pay for buildings, technology, etc. and expensive administrative salaries and expect good results? When the taxpayers say NO, perhaps they will get down to figuring out good teachers are the key.

Anonymous said...

DC,

Do you know that we have students sharing lockers at the BMS 7th Grade, and I think both of the other grades as well. They were around 40 lockers short. We still have issues at all of school that let's face it, unless you are a parent you won't really care about them!!!that need to be addressed and portables are not the answer. I care that my son can't lock up his valubles, text books go missing, coats, lunch money, go figure. We also have girls and boys sharing Athletics lockers at BHS. Think about the germs going on there.

Anonymous said...

DC, it's par for the course to get dissed by other commenters on BSG's blog, but by the blog author himself.

But what do I know?

mzchief said...

To anonymous 8:31...
Oh my, the horror of kids sharing lockers!

You do realize, students are not issued lockers in college, right.

Have you ever really given any thought to what type of jobs do issue lockers to their employees?

The school districts should be REQUIRED to provide for the students with the CURRENT budget especially since enrollment is is down, unemployment is up and there has been NO increase in the cost of living during the past 12 months.

Denney Crane said...

9:46 AM

I appreciate your concern but am finally getting use to criticism. Most bloggers get dissed on a regular basis, it's nothing new. Many of us enjoy creating a bit of controversy, that means we're doing something right.

My TV character, Denney Crane, when stating his opinion, would almost always end it with, "I could be wrong".

Although I don't use this ending on "every blog post", it accomplishes two things: 1. remaining in character 2. allowing for actually being wrong, which I may be.

I am not innocent when it comes to dissing bloggers. In the past, I have expressed my displeasure with several of his opinions in a much less civil way. I think he is very appropriate in kindly expressing his opinion, something I don't alway do very well.

I'm glad he reads my blog. At least he's not boring; I hate boring!

DC

Denney Crane said...

8:31 AM

So tell me which you feel more important. Spending $750,000 on artificial turf or more permanent lockers?

Is that a fair question?

Anonymous said...

I hope it passes, I hope yall move outta BISD, have any of you been to a meeting to hear the pros and cons. I will bet not.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere I read that WARM is serving double the families due to lost jobs in Wise County this year. A lot of the people live in the BISD school district and cannot afford any more taxes.
To the parent concerned about lockers; the school has enough money in the general fund for more lockers. Many schools use portable buildings because student enrollment may vary from year to year.
To the poster who really thinks unless a voter attends a meeting to hear about the bond election, the voter is not informed. Most voters will read the newspapers or find out what is going on in school or vote NO to any increase in taxes.
I've never voted NO to a bond issue but I've never lived in a time that I'm more concerned about increase in taxes and the local economy.
If parents do a good job at home helping their kids with their school work, support the schools and prepare for their higher education, they will do fine without a personal computer at school and do not have to play on astro turf.

Anonymous said...

Computers will be used in a variety of ways, including loading textbooks on them. This will save the district a lot of money. Also, if errors are found, they can be easily fixed by uploading the corrected text to the book. Not so with books! There are lot of ways computers are used today, besides the social/gaming aspect. Assignments can be turned in via network, thus no paper being used! Can you say green? Most businesses today use this kind of technology already. Using computers teaches these kind of skills that will be necessary. Many districts have gone to the 1 to 1 ratio with laptops with great success. I could go on, but you get the idea. As for more room, the HS is overcrowded! The science labs will be used. Science classes are different than when I went to school. The emphasis on science has forced schools to use more lab time to learn the material they are required to know. I agree that good teachers are needed and schools need to weed out the bad ones without being afraid of lawsuits. They need to get a little Trump in them and say "Your Fired!!!" My kids have teachers that are the best and some that need to get out of teaching. A good teacher will take the new technology and become an even better teacher. A bad teacher will be a bad teacher no matter what you give them. The only qualm I have about the bond issue, is I want the BISD to show me where every cent of this money is being spent! I don't want one dime going toward a new field or sports that is not on the plan. I don't mind the new gym but not another dime for football! And finally, the key to better schools is better parenting! All parents need to get involved in their child's education and push them to be the best in the classroom! Unfortunately, this does not happen with a lot of parents today. If more parents took an interest in their child's education, most of those bad teachers would be run out of town!