Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Denney Crane
Seal of Approval

Every Thursday I get an email from dfw.com , a Star Telegram website, which let’s me know what’s going on in the Metroplex for the weekend. I read a restaurant review that sparked my curiosity to the extent where I loaded up Mrs. Crane and another couple and drove them to a hole in the wall eating joint named “Tequila Rain”.

I chose not to tell anyone where we were going since the location on West Pipeline in Hurst is not known as cracker friendly. Trusting the Star Telegram and the snub nose 38+P Taurus Mrs. Crane carries in her SUV, I listened as my passengers expressed their concern about what I was getting them into this time.

Do yourself a favor, check this place out before you have to stand in line an hour for a table. Tequila Rain serves Mexican food, not Tex-Mex, so be prepared for a more spicy cuisine than we get locally.

Words that come to mind: simple, clean, relaxed, friendly, authentic and inexpensive. The atmosphere is unpretentious and a little loud. It occupies a relatively small area but provides their guests large tables, huge portions, slow service and fantastic food!

They were trying to shoot a low budget commercial while we were there, so we ducked for cover occasionally. I’m not sure if it was because we were a little overdressed or that we ordered half the menu. One thing is certain, you must bring a healthy appetite.

If you want to be the famous fine food guru of your group, or it’s your turn to buy and you want to get out cheap, Tequila Rain is worth the effort…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the margarita's??? That is a deal maker or breaker for me.

Denney Crane said...

The margaritas are just "okay"; nothing special. You may want to stick with Uncle Julios...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response! And yes, Uncle Julio's are good! Joe T's are too, but their food sux. I don't know what all the fuss is over the slop they serve.
I will give Tequila Rain a try, though.