Friday, November 7, 2008

General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century

To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.

-- Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century, translated by John Beverly Robinson [London: Freedom Press, 1923]. (thanks to Sheldon Richman for the reminder; Proudhon's birthday was January 14.)[Andrew Rogers]

7 comments:

abbienormyl said...

You have just so eloquently described my place of employment!!! I now consider myself fully governed, both publically and privately. I guess that makes me officially "well pounded"?...(yes, I meant to type the word pounded)...and not in a good way...

Anonymous said...

So we meeting or what? I want my money ???? LOL

So you think I might be the cops?

Anonymous said...

Were and when?

LandShark 5150 said...

Denny -- I'm with ya --how can you pay a guy who isn't man enough to show up , and gracefully except the so called "charitable" donation? Sounds like he is "tuff enuff" to blame you but doesnt have the manly weight of "balls" to help his fellow Chairman Maobama by redistributing his money. As I see it all he has to do is walk in your door or any other location - extend his hand receive his "charitables" shake your hand and be on his "merry" way. But like all LIBBIES they sure point out wrongs but wont take responsibility for them.

Sheldon Richman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheldon Richman said...

Thanks for the hat tip, but when did I remind you of Proudhon?

Anonymous said...

Good Morning ....

I liked Jarheads suggestions. But you see my responses/terms/conditions. So what screen name are you going to come back as? I am thinking of Annobama !! Now that is classic.